Sunday, August 13, 2017

May 8, 2017 - True Leadership



This week I have had the opportunity to reflect on what it means to be a leader and what it means to be a follower. When I first think about the importance of each part, my mind automatically jumps to the conclusion that need to be a "leader" and guide everyone else. I think about all the things that are necessary for a leader and what they had to do to recieve that reward. I often think that this leadership role is a position that is given according to personal success. On the football and lacrosse team, usually the best players are the team captians and also in businesses and other team like situations it is often the people with the most experience and most success that are chosen to lead the rest. A leader is known as a person chosen to have this role to guide and help others to succeed. Often times people loose the real importance of this role and think of a leader as one who tells people what to do and gets people in trouble, as an act of exercising power.

The other part of this "team" who doesn't have this title is often known as a follower. What is a follower? A follower is " a normal person" of this team to who goes along with the things that the leaders say. Most often the followers don't put in much imput or change circumstances. These followers aren't often noticesd for their efforts and their obedience to their leaders. They are seen as people who weren't good enough to be a leader or the best.

Often in society we have these crazy thoughts about the leader/follower relationship. I have come to learn here that these few steriotypes mean absolutly nothing. Sure a leader might have a little more say than a follower BUT that does not mean that we all can't be leaders by ourselves. We all have the oportunity to set the example by always doing what is right and always working our hardest. No matter the calling or title, we have been given our free agency that we can use to inspire, help, animate, and lead everyone. Now with the followers, this common thought of being a follower as someone who does not care or opinionless is absolutly incorrect. We all know that Jesus Christ was and is our perfect example. We have the amazing blessing to FOLLOW the best and most perfect life that this world has ever seen. When we learn from the things that He did and we apply them in our lives, we will come closer to God, be happier, and have the guidance of the spirit every minute of every day. Those are surely things that I would like in my life. I am doing my best every day to follow Christ to better my life and the lives around me. How careless would we be if we wern't followers! I hope we can all be leaders no matter what role we have been given. Always lead by example and strive to do what is right. We can and will be the best leaders when we are the best followers, followers of Christ. 

So just another little scripture that my companion, Elder de Leon, shared with me in the Bible, in the book of 1st John 4:18. It says, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love." You all know how at times I can be a little shy... So this scripture helped me get over that fear of talking to strangers, in a foreign language, and possibly getting rejected. I have come to learn that if I have a true love for these people, we will not have fear to talk to them, we will not have fear of rejection or of the language. I know that this message of happiness can and will help their lives in so many ways. It is my calling and duty to bring these people this message, this happiness, and this light to their lives. We all have this calling to share the gospel. I know that it can be scary that a friend might say no or they will think different about you if you try to share the gospel with them but the question really is, do you love them? I encourage you all to show this love you have for them by sharing this wonderful blessing that our Heavenly Father has blessed us with. We have been blessed to know this gospel and see its blessings, now it is time to help others feel that same thing! 

I love you all and I hope you all can try a little harder to be a better leader and follower. I definatly am trying my best and I can see these blessings being poured out over us daily. I love you all, I am praying for you. Have an awesome week!
Love,
Elder Adams Jr.

P.S. sorry for writing a ton this week I had a ton on my mind haha. And with pics just a few playing soccer with some kids we taught and with some other elders too.

P.S.S. Happy Birthday Drake! Youre the man

P.S.S.S. Elder Togisala, our new district leader is exactly like Sterling Hofman it is super funny.
















No comments:

Post a Comment