Sunday, August 13, 2017

March 13, 2017 - Importance of Baptism

Mi Familia,

             So this week was another awesome week. We had a sweet experience that made me see the power of our Heavenly Father in practice when we put our faith in Him and work for our answer. So last week we baptized Sandra and her son Mario. From pretty much the beginning, they were set on getting baptized. However, the Dad in the family, Juan Antonio wasn’t very excited about it. He had the concern that he had already been baptized so he didn’t need to do it again. We had a date set for the family to get baptized together but, he didn’t come to church enough times, so we couldn’t have them the same day. We changed the date for the 11th, the next week but he wasn’t super set on it. Last Sunday he came up to us and said that he didn’t want to get baptized right now and maybe in April. I talked to him during the whole 3rd hour of church about the importance of baptism and how it is a commandment. After that he agreed to just delay it one week until the 18th of March. Of course it was kind of a bummer because he was not super excited about this amazing covenant that we have the opportunity to make. Well we kept teaching and preparing him for baptism throughout the week.

              On Thursday we went to another investigators house who is Juan Antonio’s friend and he said that Juan wanted to talk to us about baptism. Of course the worst came to my mind first. I thought that he was going to tell us that he didn’t want to get baptized anymore or that he wanted to change the date again. We got to their house and the first thing he said (pretty much yelling) was “Hermanos, can I get baptized this Saturday?!?”It was Thursday. We made a ton of calls and got an interview scheduled for the next day, Friday. Long story short, we had his baptism this Saturday and it all went smooth. I know that because He was reading his scriptures, praying, and coming to church, he received his answer. He was super excited and he is even happier now. We now are teaching them about the things they have to do to be an eternal family. 

                I think one of the coolest parts for me was sharing his story with another investigator. This lady is married to a member and her daughter is a member but she just doesn’t want to commit to being baptized. She comes to church every Sunday and we teach them on a regular basis but she just doesn’t want to commit to anything. On Saturday after the baptism we went to their house and I shared the power of Heavenly Father in our conversion when we do the things that he asks of us. I shared Juan’s story and how he did a 180 degree turn from not wanting to be baptized to “Can you baptize me in 2 days? ”While sharing that I just had the best feeling and knew that she felt it too. We are doing our best with her and I know someday she will get in the water. 

                I know that was all over the place and I might have forgotten some things but to me it was a cool story and testimony that Heavenly Father works and only works on us when we are doing our part. I love these people, this area, El Salvador, all of you, and especially my Savior Jesus Christ and our Father in Heaven. 

                Have an awesome week and keep putting your faith in our Heavenly Father. He will bless you! Have an awesome week and stay safe. 
Love,
Elder Adams Jr.

P.S. Sorry not too many pictures. All I can say about them is I’m still trying to teach them how to smile 




No comments:

Post a Comment